Wednesday, August 24, 2011

6 Months Old!

Last Friday Mira turned 6 months old. AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH HOW DID THAT HAPPEN????? Half a year old - damn that really happened fast. Unbelievably fast. Everyone would say to me, "It goes by so fast!" I would always think, "Okay, so it goes by really fast." Uh, yeah, it REALLY does go by way too fast. I think I have whiplash from watching everything fly by so fast. I look back on pictures from even just a couple months ago and it's amazing to see the amount of change that Mira has gone through in such a short amount of time.
Eating is so fun!
Insert food here
Six months of course means another well-baby checkup, which she had yesterday. Mira now weighs 16 lbs 0 oz (49th percentile), length 26 inches (58th percentile), head circumference 16.1 inches (11th percentile). You'd never guess that she was SGA (small for gestational age) when she was born - she's catching up really well! But then all you have to do is look at her awesome fat thighs to realize she's been gaining weight like a champ. :) And of course a well-baby checkup also means vaccinations. There's always a part of me that feels like I'm torturing my child by getting her vaccinated, and then I think about how much worse it would be for her to actually get sick with one of these diseases and I figure it's definitely worth it. Plus she's always done really well with getting her shots. I've always given her Tylenol an hour before we go in, and then she screams as she gets the shots and as soon as I pick her up she's fine and that's the end of it. The nurse at the doctor's office can never believe how good Mira is and reminds me every time that I'm really lucky.

We're adding on more solids and she's still enjoying eating. She really loves peaches - duh. She's a little unsure about green beans and makes these really funny faces when she tastes them but she keeps opening her mouth for more so I think she'll decide she likes them. Although I don't really blame her for making faces - those green beans look pretty icky. I'll probably start introducing meats pretty soon. Those look really gross too but hopefully they taste better than they look.

And now - ohboyohboyohboyohboy - more professional pictures! I'm so impressed and excited with how well these came out! Sorry for the picture overload but I just couldn't decide which ones I liked best so I put all my faves on here. Ashley Schoenfeld is amazing and so worth the money!

And that's still not even half of them! I'm so glad we did these.

Mira still loves to roll all over the place and she tries to scoot forward but just ends up looking like an inchworm (and traveling about that far). She'll be figuring out crawling before we know it. She can't quite sit on her own yet but she's so close. Her favorite toys are teddy bears and toys like rattles that make noise. She loves the cats and gets so excited whenever she sees them and tries to grab them, which would explain why they've learned to run away whenever they see her. Our challenge right now is still sleep. She did sleep through the night last night but I'm wondering if it's because she got her vaccinations during the day. A couple nights ago she was up every hour and a half again. Ugh, so frustrating! We're also working on getting her used to sleeping in her crib during the day for naptime - which is hard because the window in her room is south-facing so it's so bright during the day. She can be asleep and the second I walk into her room to put her down she pops awake and she's ready to play. But if I lay her down on our bed she stays asleep - I'm guessing because we have the window completely covered in our room so it's really dark all the time. So maybe if we get some dark curtains in he room she'll nap better. I'm still not sure what to do about her night waking, especially since she seems to be waking up because she's hungry. I wish there was a manual that came with parenthood, I hate the guesswork and second-guessing and wondering if I'm doing the right thing or if I'm scarring her for life!

No comments:

Post a Comment