Friday, May 11, 2012

Good Times

To start off, I'm going to say that I love my job but sometimes I hate it because I see so much sadness. It seems to come in waves and the last month or so we have had some really awful and sad cases come through the unit. Cancer, traumas, heart failure... Sometimes I look at the horrible things that I see every day I go to work and I'm just amazed that it's even possible for a kid to be born without any problems at all - or wonder that it's even possible for a kid to survive to adulthood without anything catastrophic happening. I have to keep reminding myself that what I see is a very small percentage of the general pediatric population. Most kids never see the inside of a hospital in their lives, much less the ICU. But lately I come home from work and I squeeze my little girl extra tight because I cannot believe I was one of the lucky ones to have a child that is normal, and God-willing will never see the inside of a hospital as a child. My job really forces you to appreciate good health.

There's been some good stuff at work too - every once in a while you form a really good bond with a patient's family and they beg to have you take care of them every time you work, and even better, you don't mind it! I've been lucky enough to have one of those families the last couple of weeks. It's been nice to have that boost in my self-esteem. :)

A funny story that I'd like to include just so I don't forget it: The unit is hiring a third Assistant Nurse Manager and the Director put the email out a couple weeks ago. To be considered they wanted you to have some amount of experience in a leadership-sort of position, such as an expanded role or Charge Nurse or something along those lines. Obviously I deleted the email because even though I might be interested in going into management later in my career, I'm definitely not ready now. I haven't even been in the PICU for 4 years yet! Anyway, a few nights ago I was working next to a nurse who I would consider to be one of the best nurses we have - she's been in the PICU for years and years, she's a charge nurse, a flight nurse, and has such good instincts as an ICU nurse. I really look up to her. She asked me if I'd put in for the Nurse Manager position since I'm really good and know everything already. I laughed and acted like she'd said that as a joke - but she was acting like she was serious. Me?? I have no seniority, I'm not a charge nurse (don't plan to be one until I don't have to be a cardiac nurse to do it), have very little leadership experience - but she was acting like I should have put in for the position. I told another friend of mine, expecting her to laugh and think that was funny that someone would even suggest that I put in for it, and her response was, "Well, why don't you?" I told Mark, expecting him to find it amusing, and he asked why I didn't apply for it. Here I am thinking it's laughable that anyone would even suggest that I should be a Nurse Manager of a unit I've only been in for 4 years when there are people much more qualified and have been around for decades and people are wondering why I didn't think to apply. Go figure. Anyway, even if it was laughable it really did make me feel good about myself. That says a lot when people are thinking I'd be a good manager when I have so little time in the unit and there are close to 200 nurses to choose from. I'm flattered. But I'm still not going to apply. :)

Okay, enough bragging and on to Little Miss Mira. I seem to have only taken one video of her since the last post... which seems odd to me but apparently that's all I did. Her new thing has been a fascination with talking on the phone. Give her a toy phone or real phone and she tries to talk on it - although she doesn't quite get the concept of putting the phone to your ear yet.
Is that funny or what?

She's not really talking yet, which I'm not going to push because she's only 14 months, but I swear she says "Hi!" to people and she's been saying something that sounds like, "Ah dat?!" We're thinking she's trying to say, "What's that" or "Want that" or something along those lines. She also says "Dis!" which we're thinking means "This," because she says it when she's pointing at something. Mark thinks I'm hearing things and she's just making noises, and maybe she is, but those sounds are pretty consistent. She's gotten the idea of sign language and she can sign "More," "Please," and "All done," and we're working on "Thank you." We're also teaching her where to find certain body parts - she knows where her feet and belly button are, and she knew where her head was until we tried to teach her nose and then she got confused, so when we ask her where her head is she sticks her finger in her mouth. Well, close enough. She's also decided to cut at least 3-4 teeth at once, and for some reason her molars are coming in before her other teeth. I thought molars are supposed to come in last but she's got one on each side on top working their way in, and man she is not pleased about that! Not that I blame her but she's been quite cranky lately. (Of course, Mira-cranky would still be a very well-behaved baby in comparison.)

Here we go with some pictures. We had Hamburger Helper a few weeks ago and as you can see, it was a big hit:






Mira finally has enough hair that I can pull it up into a little pigtail. This has got to be one of the cutest things I've ever seen! Now I can start styling her hair and putting bows in her hair again!



I'm not sure why she was so bored here - she must have been tired or something.


One of her favorite things to eat is berries. It's not usually this messy but after squishing some raspberries and blackberries in her hands she of course had to wipe her face... Oh man, what a mess...

Oh yes, and an Angry Face.
Mark and I took Mira out to eat at a sushi restaurant last week. She will eat sushi! She also likes the gyoza and miso soup and even the tobiko (that's flying fish eggs for those of you not familiar with Japanese food). After dinner she saw a lime that was a garnish on one of the plates and kept pointing at it and signing "please" and squealing. I wasn't going to give it to her but then I thought about the funny faces she would make so we let her have it.


Umm, yeah she loved it! I couldn't believe it. She really will eat just about anything!

Warmer weather means it's time for sandals, and if you're wearing sandals it's time to get your toes looking pretty. I tried painting Mira's toenails a couple weeks ago and she just didn't get what I was trying to do and screamed while I was trying to put the polish on, so that didn't work. So then I painted my toenails and showed her, and she got really interested in the nail polish. A few days ago I tried to paint her toenails again and she sat through the whole thing and even tried to blow on the wet polish to help dry it! She was excited to see her toenails are bright pink now. I'm excited to have a pedicure buddy!
We still spend lots of time outside in the nice weather and she likes to walk on the sidewalk up and down the street and for some reason she loves to cross the street too. She knows to hold my hand to cross the street, luckily. I'm going to be so paranoid and overprotective about cars and roads and such just because of the crap I see at work. If she starts walking towards one of the parked cars in the driveway I pull her away and tell her to stay away because cars are dangerous. I'm sure I'm overreacting but I am so scared she'll get run over by someone pulling out of the driveway!

When she's not walking around the neighborhood with me, she still likes to sit on the bench in the front yard and swing her feet in the dirt.




One day she got into my purse and of course the first thing she found and got into was my wallet. I guess it's instinctive for little girls!
I'm still amazed when I look at Mira and see how much she's grown up already! I still call her my baby but she really isn't anymore. It's so insane.

I think she might be ready for a baby doll because a couple days ago she was playing with the iPad and started playing a video of her when she was about 3 months old. First of all, Mark and I couldn't believe how tiny she was then. Second of all, when Mira saw a little baby on the screen she leaned forward and gave the screen a big wet kiss!! I couldn't stop laughing but I think we might start looking for a Cabbage Patch doll or something along those lines. I'm interested to see how she acts with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment